Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Swordfish Steaks Slathered with Tapenade

Tapenade is one of my absolute favorite things to make, and probably to eat.  I say make and not cook because, well, there really isn't any cooking involved.  It is definitely one of my go-to recipes if I am having people over for a non-sit down affair.  It goes great with wine and cheese, and is a fantastic use of fresh herbs if you have them lying around.  Over the past few weeks, we have gotten oregano, basil, and thyme from our CSA.  Incidentally, those are three key ingredients in Wolfgang Puck's tapenade, which is the recipe I always use.  When I have time, I'll oven dry tomatoes to put in (but that's another post).  When I don't, I just buy sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil.  For starters, this recipe is good served on fresh baguette or crostini:
You really want to just pulse the food processor until it chopped finely, but I like that you can still make out bits of fresh herbs, pieces of dried tomato, etc.  The capers, anchovies, and garlic really give it a lot of depth of flavor.  I tend to go light on the olive oil, and I like to rinse the olives before I add them.   I feel like it cuts down on salt and lets the herbs shine through.  Don't obsess on finding the right olives, just use some good ones that aren't from a can.

While tapanade is great on just about anything, I think its flavors work really well with swordfish steaks.  I bought a 14 oz steak for this recipe, which is a good amount for two people.  Meghan started this while I was at work by getting the fish in a quick marinade: about 4 TB olive oil and 2 TB balsalmic whisked together with couple crushed garlic gloves added.  The fish should have about 30 minutes in the marinade (flip it half way through), but no more.

I got a well seasoned cast iron skillet really hot, and then seared the fish for about 3-4 minutes on one side.  I then flipped it, and put it the pre-heated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or cooked until or liking.  I like swordfish about medium.  This oven temp is good for roasting sliced summer squash and zucchini (which we got from the CSA again...these things must grow like weeds), and the 10 minutes is about all they took.  Served everything on top of some plain couscous:
This ended up being one of my all-time favorite fish preps.  It is also super-easy if you make the tapenade ahead of time (it will keep in the fridge for at least a week).  There's something elementally good about the combination of swordfish and olives - these ingredients are meant to be with each other.  While I need to start doing more interesting stuff with the squash/zucchini, the timing worked really well with this fish prep.  On the other hand, one thing I like about summer squash is how simple it is to prepare in a pretty tasty manner.

That's about it... I really recommend you try making at least the tapenade if not the whole recipe.  For my regular readers (hi mom), I will probably only post one once or twice more before taking about 10 days off for a trip to Israel!  Not sure if I'll find a way to post from there (202 Kibbutz Review?), but hopefully I'll find a cool ingredient or two to bring back that can clear customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment